The quality of healthcare in the Netherlands is good. However, the Dutch healthcare system has specific rules that you must know. On this page, you will find information and an explanation about the compulsory health insurance, the access, the healthcare benefit, the family doctor, specialist care, and more.

Please note!

The information on this page may not (fully) apply to refugees from Ukraine. The most recent information for refugees from Ukraine can be found on our platform RefugeeHelp >>

Compulsory health insurance

In the Netherlands, everyone from 18 years of age is obliged to insure himself or herself against medical expenses. The health insurance pays your visits to the family doctor and part of the medicines and treatments in hospital. How much the insurance company pays and which costs you must pay for yourself depends on two things: your insurance package and your excess. You can choose part of the insurance package yourself: on top of the compulsory basic health insurance, you can take out different supplementary insurance packages. In addition, most insurance policies have an excess that is required by law: this ‘excess’ is an amount that you must pay yourself every year before you are entitled to payment under your insurance. The excess does not apply to a visit to the family doctor, so this will always be paid for you. Children up to 18 years of age are included in the insurance policy of either of the parents free of charge. The excess does not apply to children.

You can also choose a cheaper health insurance with a higher excess, but this is not wise if you do not have a financial buffer (savings). Your counsellor at the Dutch Council for Refugees can help you to take out health insurance.

In some municipalities, people with a social assistance benefit can take out extended health insurance. The monthly premium you pay for this insurance is higher, but you do not have an excess.

Healthcare benefit

People with a low income can get a healthcare benefit from the government to pay part of the health insurance. The Central Agency for the Reception of Asylum Seekers (COA) will probably have applied for the healthcare benefit for you before you moved to the municipality. If you do not get any healthcare benefit, discuss this with your counsellor as soon as possible.

Family doctor

If you are having any health problems, you must always first visit the family doctor in the Netherlands. This is the case if you are pregnant, if you need medical advice, or if you have psychological problems, such as sleeping problems, anxiety, and lasting symptoms of depression. Only the family doctor can refer you to specialist care, usually in a hospital. To be able to make an appointment with a family doctor, you will first have to register with him or her as a patient. Also ask him or her if your health insurance is valid at this family doctor. If you had a medical intake at a reception centre, you will probably already have a medical record in the Netherlands. Your new family doctor can retrieve this record at Gezondheidscentrum Asielzoekers (GCA) (Asylum Seeker’s Health Centre) or, after 1 January 2018, at Arts en Zorg.


If you have problems with your teeth, or to prevent these problems, you go to the dentist. You must also first register as a patient with a dentist. The expenses for the dentist are not covered under the basic health insurance. So you must pay for the expenses yourself if you do not have additional dental care insurance. Most dental expenses (including semi-annual dental check-ups) for children up to 18 years of age are, in principle, covered under the basic health insurance.

More information

    Eritreeërs Gezond - Facebook

    On Eritreeërs Gezond (Eritreans Healthy), you will find information in Tigrinya about care and health, made by qualified Eritrean and Dutch doctors.

    Syriërs Gezond - Facebook

    On Syriërs Gezond (Syrians Healthy) you will find information in Arabic about care and health, made by qualified Syrian and Dutch doctors.

    Opgroeien in Nederland - Facebook

    On the Facebook page "Opgroeien in Nederland" ("Growing up in the Netherlands") you will find information for parents with children growing up in the Netherlands.


    My body in word and image.


    On this website, you will find information in Arabic, English, Farsi & Tygrinia about what to do if you are stressed, think a lot and sleep poorly.

    GezondheidsZorg Asielzoekers- GZA healthcare

    GZA has a health center at almost every COA reception location where  asylum seekers can go to for an appointment with a care provider such as the doctor's assistant, nurse, POH-GGZ or GP.

    Gemeentelijke Gezondheidsdienst- GGD

    On this website, you can find answers to the  questions about your health, the health of your children and about vaccinations.

    Uitleg zorgverzekering

    Here you will find information about health insurance.

    Veilig Thuis

    Veilig Thuis provides advice, help and support with domestic violence and child abuse. You can go to Veilig Thuis if you are looking for help or if you are worried about someone else.


    Fier offers safe shelter, treatment and guidance to anyone who has (had) to deal with violence in a dependency relationship.